Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Southwestern Chicken Skillet

I got this recipe from my friend Melissa and it was delicious!

1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 C. water
2 C. macaroni, uncooked (or similar size noodle - I used small shells because that's what I had)
8 oz. Velveeta (about 1/4 of a 2 lb. brick)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 C. sour cream

Cook chicken in skillet with a little oil.  Add water and bring to boil.  Add macaroni/noodles.  Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes.  Add tomatoes and cheese, cooking until melted.  Remove from heat and add sour cream.

Tricks & Ideas:
-I added a little chopped onion with the noodles and next time I think I'll add some green peppers too.  If you like your onions a little crisp, I'd add them toward the end of the 15 minute simmer because they got pretty soft.
-You could cut up and even cook the chicken ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator or freezer.  A pound of hamburger instead of chicken would also be good.
-I also added a can of chili beans with the tomatoes and cheese.  Melissa suggested a little taco seasoning for more seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment