Monday, August 16, 2010

Enchanting Butterflies & Flowers

I'll admit I didn't take the time to make the carrots look like flowers.  But this was pretty good.

8 oz. (2 cups) small bow pasta
3 carrots, trimmed and peeled (I sliced up baby carrots)
1 T. oil or butter
4 oz. lean ham, slivered
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth (I just make mine from bouillon)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Cut each carrot into 2 or 3 inch lengths (I think I'm just going to use baby carrots). With a small sharp knife, carefully carve out narrow, shallow "v" shapes, about 1/4 inch apart around the outside of each piece of carrot. Thinly slice each carrot. The "v" shape cutouts give the slices a petal-like appearance. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots and cook until almost tender, about 2 minutes. Add the ham and cook 2 minutes longer. Add the chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and simmer 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Stir in the pasta and serve. If desired, sprinkle in a little fresh parsley for leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment