Thursday, April 14, 2011

Slow Cooked Oriental Chicken

3-4 pounds broiler-fryer chicken, cup up
2 T. oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. water
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup slivered almonds

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in oil on both sides.  Transfer to a slow cooker.  Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, and ginger.  Pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.  Reduce heat to low and cook 4-5 hours longer.  Remove chicken to serving platter and sprinkle with almonds.  Spoon juices over chicken or thicken if desired.

Now I adapted this a bit.  I cut a whole boneless skinless chicken breast into several pieces and just tossed them in the crock pot without browning.  I added the almonds with the rest of the ingredients and cooked on high and it was done in less than 2 hours.  Although I'm beginning to think my crock pot runs too hot.....

No comments:

Post a Comment